Water is an indispensable resource that many of us take for granted. While safe and reliable drinking water in Moorpark is provided by the Ventura County Waterworks District 1, we all play a part in preserving this critical resource.
DROUGHT ALERT: 15% Water Conservation Needed!
Effective immediately, Ventura County Waterworks is asking Moorpark customers to help reduce their water use by 15% percent by implementing the following voluntary outdoor watering schedules. The schedules call for limiting outdoor watering to three (3) days a week or less (see below).
- Addresses ending in an even number may water Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- Addresses ending in an odd number may water Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday
Why It Matters:
California is grappling with unprecedented drought conditions. 2020 and 2021 were the driest two-year sequence on record in the state. In August, Lake Oroville – the main reservoir on the State Water Project – reached its lowest point ever since being filled in the 1970s (see image at right). If drought conditions continue, the State has indicated it could constrain water deliveries to a level that may prevent any outdoor watering.
Simple actions indoors and outdoors can save water. Tips to reduce water use by 15% include:
- Find and fix leaks
- Reduce unnecessary toilet flushes
- Reduce shower times by 1-2 minutes
- Remove lawn and install climate-appropriate plants
- Only wash full loads in the clothes washer and dishwasher
- This winter, only irrigate during extended dry periods and prioritize water for your trees
By taking these voluntary steps now, we can do our part in helping to extend our existing water supplies and avoid future mandatory actions.
- Ventura County Waterworks - Water Conservation - Resources and tips from our local water purveyor.
- BeWaterWise.com - Information on water conservation rebates (residential and commercial), grants, landscape classes, and water-wise garden inspiration.
- SaveOurWater.com - Water conservation information from the California Department of Water Resources.
- Calscape.org - Learn what plants are native to your location. Conserve water, make gardening more successful, and avoid wasting time and money trying to grow plants where they’re not inclined to grow.
- Ventura County Master Gardeners - The Ventura County Master Gardeners are a volunteer group of horticulture experts who are available to provide helpful answers to gardening questions. They also hold seminars at various locations throughout the county. They are a great resource for those who are trying to create a water wise garden or landscape at their home.
- Water Conservation - Read about the City´s water conservation efforts.
- Water Wise Gardening - This website provides assistance with selecting drought-tolerant plants for your yard.
City of Moorpark Drought Action Plan
Issues with surface water quality can threaten the well-being of our ecosystems, wildlife, and public health at local beaches. The City of Moorpark makes it a priority to prevent pollutants from entering storm drains which lead to waterways such as creeks, bays, and the ocean.
The City also makes it a priority to encourage its residents to do their part by using water in a sustainable and responsible manner.