Which construction projects require engineered plans?
Business and Professions Code Sections 5537, 5538, and 6737.1 specify what an unlicensed person may design. Generally, unlicensed persons are limited to non-structural storefronts and minor interior alterations. Unlicensed persons may not design any component that would effect the safety of any building or its occupants, including, but not limited to, structural or seismic components.

Show All Answers

1. Why do we have building codes?
2. What is the building code?
3. Who needs building codes?
4. Who uses the building code?
5. Why inspect during construction?
6. Which construction projects require engineered plans?
7. What is a building permit?
8. Which construction projects need building permits?
9. Why do I need a building permit?
10. Who is allowed to pull a building permit?
11. What is the building permit process?
12. What happens when I visit the Building and Safety Division?
13. What do I do next, after I receive my building permit?
14. How do I arrange for building inspections?
15. When / how do I get occupancy of my building?
16. Should I hire a contractor?