Animal Complaint Form
To file an animal complaint, view the Animal Complaint Form and deliver or mail it to:
Moorpark City Hall
Attention Animal Control
799 Moorpark Ave.
Moorpark, CA 93021
Complaint Form Instructions
- Write the name of the animal owner / keeper in the section provided. If you do not have the owner’s name, you may leave this line blank.
- Fill in the address, city, state, and zip code.
- You have been supplied with a copy of the Animal Nuisance Ordinances for your complaint. Under the section titled Animal Nuisances (§6.08.100) is a list of subsections one through seven. These subsections are a list of behaviors that could constitute an animal being declared a public nuisance. On the line marked Violation(s), write down the appropriate subsection letter(s) or number(s).
- In the Statement of Facts area you need to describe the animal(s) by description as best as you can. (E.g., one large, black and white dog, and two small brown dogs; one green and yellow parrot, etc.) If you know the animal’s name(s) write that down also.
- Describe in detail, the behavior(s) or violation(s) you have witnessed or been a victim of, or property you have had damaged or destroyed.
- If you are registering a noise complaint you are required to submit a five-day written record or log that includes dates, times, and a description of the animal’s noise that is disturbing you. (E.g., disturbing you from the comfortable enjoyment of your home.) You may attach a separate sheet of this written record or log to this Statement of Facts form.
Be sure to include your name and signature on this separate sheet of paper. After you have sent all of the required information to this department, continue to keep a log of the noise until the date of the hearing. Depending on the city or county area you live in, it may be required to have a certain number of complainants to file a noise complaint. The number of complainants is clearly stated in the subsection.
Each required number of complainants must submit a Statement of Facts and a five-day written record. Each required number of complainants must appear at the hearing to give oral testimony.
- It is your responsibility to present your case to the hearing officer. You should include a map of your area. If you have additional witnesses you want notified of the hearing date and time, please indicate their name and address in your written complaint.
- A copy of all written complaints will be sent to the animal’s owner prior to the hearing so they can prepare their defense.
If you are using a plain sheet of paper to write your complaint on, make sure you include the following perjury statement at the bottom of your complaint along with your name and signature: I certify under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct to the best of my information and belief.
If you have any questions regarding the animal nuisance complaint process, please call the City Animal Control Division at 805-517-6267.