Compost, Mulch, and Grasscycling
The City of Moorpark is offering Earth Machine home compost bins to residents of the incorporated city for the discounted price of $40. These bins are high quality, cost effective, and easy to use with an 80 gallon capacity. The bins measure 33 inches in diameter and 33 inches tall, weigh 20 pounds, and come with stakes. The cost to city residents is $40, limit of one bin per household.
To order a compost bin from the City of Moorpark, download an order form. Mail your completed form with a $40 check payable to the City of Moorpark to:
City of Moorpark - Compost Bin Offer
799 Moorpark Avenue
Moorpark, CA 93021
Or bring your cash or check in to City Hall with a completed order form. Available to residents of the Moorpark incorporated areas only. Once your check is received, your request will be processed and the Earth Machine, along with everything you need to begin composting, will be delivered to your home by your waste hauler within two to three weeks.
All sales are final, no returns will be accepted.
If you have any questions regarding the City of Moorpark compost bin program,please E-mail or call us at (805) 517-6294.
The City of Moorpark hosts Free Mulch Day events for Moorpark residents on a quarterly basis. The mulch comes from trimming the thousands of trees maintained by the City each year. Free Mulch Day takes place in a vacant lot behind the Moorpark Library (699 Moorpark Avenue), across the street from the Moorpark Post Office.
Free Mulch Days are scheduled from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on the following days:
- Saturday, January 14, 2023
- Saturday, April 8, 2023
- Saturday, July 8, 2023
- Saturday, October 14, 2023
What to Expect
City staff will pile various types of mulch according to color and texture. You can browse the inventory and take up to two bags or containers of whatever mulch(es) you like best. You are responsible for filling your bags and containers; City staff will not bag the mulch for you.
What to Bring
Since you are responsible for filling your own bags and containers, the following items may be helpful:
- Plastic bags or other containers to hold your mulch
- Trash can with wheels for easy filling and moving the mulch to your vehicle
- A tarp to cover your mulch, if you are loading into an open pickup truck bed
- A friend to help!
For More Information
Please contact the Moorpark Parks, Recreation, and Community Services Department at (805) 517-6364.
The act of recycling grass, or grasscycling, can help produce a healthy green lawn with moderate turf growth.
Although not necessary, consider using a mulching mower. Many are less expensive to use, quieter, and electric mowers don't need oil or gas.
- If you do not have a mulching mower, check the blade type on your mower or purchase a retrofit kit so that you can mow no more than one-third of the leaf blade. Be sure to mow on the days the lawn is not watered or later in the day when the grass tends to be dry.
- Keep equipment clean and the blades sharp. A clean cut lawn lowers the chance of disease entry and limits plant stress. It also prevents clippings from forming clumps.
- Leave the clippings on the lawn and apply smaller amounts of fertilizer to your lawn on a regular basis. This is more effective than applying larger amounts less often.
Grasscycling contributes to a healthy lawn by returning nitrogen and other nutrients to the soil. It encourages beneficial soil organisms that help prevent disease. Grasscycling also helps the soil hold more water and resist erosion. A healthy lawn is dense and vigorous and is better able to crowd out weeds.
Grasscycled lawns look beautiful, neat, and professionally groomed. When grasscycling is done well, you don´t notice the clippings, only the results. Professional landscapers have grasscycled for years when appearance is a top concern, such as golf courses, resorts, and sports fields. Landscapers with expertise in grasscycling know how to give you the same lush results.